Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Nominations and Floor Crossings? Oh my!

I know it has been a while since the last time I blogged-but regardless here are a few musings:

  • Being a member of the Niagara Falls riding this is amazing news. Jim Curran has been a wonderful riding president and his dedication to this party is an inspiration to not just myself but many. He is a fierce supporter and promoter of both youth and women participation in politics (his favourite t-shirt is his "women belong in the house..and in the senate"). I for one can not wait to see him on CPAC in the House of Commons.

  • Disregarding people's personal opinions on whether or not Garth Turner will be a good addition to the Liberal fold or not; I would like to point out that Garth Turner did not choose to floor cross. To remind people he was tossed out of the Conservative Caucus, a decision he didn't make. He chose to sit as an independent initially and in his press conference vowed to be very critical of the whole party process, not just the Conservatives, but all political parties. Apparently after some time as an independent Garth has decided to join the Liberal Caucus. He did not leave the Conservative caucus in an attempt to screw them over; or because of some type of carrot dangled by the Liberal party. So by this rationale I would suggest that because unlike Scott Brison, Belinda Stronach, and Wajid Khan (who all went from one political party to another with no time in between); Garth Turner does not owe it to anyone to step down and run in a by-election. I come to this conclusion not because I don't want to risk his constituents re-electing a Conservative MP, or that I am in any way pro-floor crossing (quiet frankly, I don't have a strong opinion on it one way or another). If he floor crossed to the Liberals, then he floor crossed as a Independent which his constituents didn't elect him as either. So does that mean that he should have stepped down after he was tossed out of the Conservative Caucus and run as a Independent? Needless to say Garth's situation is a bit different to those of Scott, Belinda and Wajid.

No comments: